ALL SAINTS CHURCH WORLINGTON
In the 13th century the chancel was lengthened and although there is now no piscina, the seats for the clergy remain in the lowered windowsill. The tower was built in the 14th century and the lavish use of stone shows the high status of the construction. The west doorway, window, niches and four-foil opening, with a 13th century coffin lid used as a lintel, all typical of the period. The aisle was added with a two-storey vestry at the west end. The five-bay arcade has concave piers, covered with graffiti. The door has much original timber and ironwork, including the sanctuary ring.
In the 15th century the nave walls were heightened, clerestory windows inserted and a new roof. The scars of the earlier lower roof can be seen over the chancel and tower arches. New larger windows replace earlier ones in the nave and aisle. Large sums of money were left for this work in the 1420s and 1450s. A porch was built, with a holy water stoop and niche by the entrance.
The Medieval Interior
Documentary evidence shows statues of All Saints and St Mary flanking the high altar. There was an altar and statue of the Holy Trinity in the aisle, the east end still has remains of wall paintings, stained glass and piscina.
Under the chancel arch stood the rood screen, with a wide loft on top. Above this was the rood beam into which the rood, or crucifix were fixed. Access to the rood loft was by a staircase. The walls around the screen were decorated with IHC for Jesus and roses for Mary, some of which survive. In 1962 remains of a 14th century wall painting of St Christopher carrying the Christ child were discovered on the north wall.
At the reformation in the 1540's, visual aids to worship were removed or obliterated and staircases blocked up. Our rood beam is a very rare survival.
The side windows have fragments of medieval glass. The east window glass of 1909, by Dudley Forseyth, depicts Jesus inviting all to 'Come unto Me‘.
The southwest window has a 'low side‘, which, before the reformation, opened to allow the sacristan to ring the sanctus bell. The 15th century roof was boarded and plastered in the 18th century, but the embattled wall plate is still exposed.
The northeast window has fragments of medieval stained glass. The Pulpit is 17th century. The Victorian Reading Desk came from Tewkesbury Abbey. The Chamber Organ was installed in 1926. The Charity Board includes a bequest by Thomas Blackerby of Stowmarket in 1688.
On the north wall is the oldest surviving monument to John Mortlock (d.1620) who ‘gave to ye poore of this parish 30s [£1.50] per annum forever'. The Font is Norman and the pulley block above is in the shape of hand, a rare survival, used to raise the medieval cover.
The mural Clock was given to the church by William Booty of Mildenhall in the 1920's. The Royal Arms of George III were ordered for the church in 1762.
The benches are 15th century. The piers of the arcade have 14th and 15th century graffiti, shields and banners with coats-of-arms, faces, crosses and initials. The graffiti around the vestry door includes ‘Simon Bagot', Rector here 1447 - 75.
The five bells include one of the oldest in Suffolk, made by John Godynge of Lynn c1301; one by Robert Gurney in 1633, one by John Draper in 1635 and two by Taylor of Loughborough in 1850.
At the southeast corner of the nave is a medieval mass-dial, unfortunately now upside down. On the nave gable is the medieval Sanctus bell turret.
Nearby is the base and socket of the medieval preaching cross.
At the west end of the churchyard is the gravestone of Lt. Col. James Oliphant (d.1881) of Worlington Hall, Equerry to the Maharajah Duleep Singh of Elveden.
Taken from a history of All Saints Church - Clive Paine